Necromancer Skills & Passives – Elsweyr
The press embargo/NDA on the information I saw at Zenimax Online Studios headquarters pertaining to the Elsweyr Chapter for The Elder Scrolls Online as well as the Necromancer class is officially lifted! While I saw a TON of things there besides just Elsweyr and the Necromancer, we are going to just focus on the necromancer for this article.
ZoS showed us a LOT of information and things about Elsweyr while I was there visiting, but my personal biggest focus was on the Necromancer and making sure you guys know what to expect with the new class!
The Necromancer Has Risen
Necromancers are being added to the Elder Scrolls Online as a playable class in Elsweyr and let me tell you, these guys are FUN. As you’ll see in the skills and passives list below, there is a ton of really cool stuff in the Necromancer’s arsenal. One of the most notable things about the necromancer is the interaction of their skills with justice NPCs. Use the wrong necromancer skill around one and you’ll receive a bounty and become attack on sight (skills marked below as “CRIMINAL ACT” cause this). The necromancer skills also focus heavily on corpse gameplay – you can utilize the corpses of your allies, enemies and some of your summons to your advantage and empower/use certain skills. The corpse targeting can be a bit clunky at times, but that was a big point of feedback during our breakout sessions. Speaking of the summons as well – a big thing that ZoS coined talking about them was “fire and forget”. Think of them like “Summon Shade” from the nightblade skill line – you use it, it counts as a pet but it does its own thing.
Grave Lord (Damage)
- Reusable Parts: When an enemy dies within 4 seconds of being damaged by one of your Necromancer abilities, your next Blastbones, Skeletal Mage or Spirit Mender cast is free.
- Death Knell: Increases your critical strike chance against enemies under 25% health by X% for each Grave Lord ability slotted.
- Dismember: While a Grave Lord ability is active, your spell and physical penetration are increased by X.
- Rapid Rot: Increases your damage done with damage over time effects by X%.
- Ultimate – Frozen Colossus: Unleash a frostbitten flesh colossus to pulverize enemies in the area. The colossus smashes the ground three times, dealing X frost damage with each smash. Each smash applies major vulnerability to any enemy hit for 3 seconds, increasing damage taken by 30%. (Cast: Instant, Target: Ground, Range: 28 meters, Radius: 8 meters, Duration: 2 seconds, Cost: 225 ultimate, CRIMINAL ACT)
- Glacial Colossus: The final smash stuns all enemies hit.
- Pestilent Colossus: Deals disease damage. The colossus deals more damage with each smash.
- Flame Skull: Lob an explosive skull at an enemy, dealing X Flame damage (Cast: Instant, Target: Enemy, Range: 28 meters, Cost: 2700 magicka)
- Ricochet Skull: Every third cast of this ability deals 20% increased damage and will bounce up to 2 times to other nearby enemies.
- Venom Skull: Converts into a stamina ability and deals poison damage, casting any necromancer ability counts towards the third cast. (Cost: 2295 stamina)
- Blastbones: Summon a flaming skeleton from the ground after 2.5 seconds. The skeleton runs after the target and explodes when it gets close to them, dealing X flame damage to all enemies nearby. Creates a corpse upon death. (Cast: Instant, Target: Enemy, Range: 28 meters, Radius: 6 meters, Cost: 2700 magicka, CRIMINAL ACT)
- Stalking Blastbones: Every second the skeleton spends chasing its target, increases the damage of the explosion by X%, up to a maximum of X% more damage.
- Blighted Blastbones: Converts into a stamina ability and deals disease damage. Reduces healing received on enemies hit (applies major defile for 4 seconds). (Cost: 2295 stamina)
- Boneyard: Desecrate the ground at the target location, dealing X frost damage over 10 seconds. Consumes a corpse on cast to deal 20% more damage. An ally standing in the graveyard can activate the Grave Robber synergy, dealing X frost damage to enemies in the area and healing you for the damage done. (Cast: Instant, Target: Ground, Range: 28 meters, Radius: 6 meters, Duration: 10 seconds, Cost: 3510 magicka)
- Avid Boneyard: You can use your own synergy.
- Unnerving Boneyard: Reduces the resistances of enemies in the area (applies major breach/fracture).
- Skeletal Mage: Unearth a skeleton mage from the dirt to fight by your side for 16 seconds. The mage attacks the closest enemy every 2 seconds, dealing X shock damage. Creates a corpse upon death. (Cast: Instant, Target: self, Duration: 16 seconds, Cost: 2430 magicka, CRIMINAL ACT)
- Exploding Mage: The mage deals damage around it when it lasts its full duration.
- Skeletal Archer: Converts into a stamina ability and deals physical damage. The archer deals more damage with each attack (X% increase with each attack). (Cost: 2065 stamina)
- Shocking Siphon: Violently drain the last spark of life from a corpse, dealing X shock damage over 12 seconds to all enemies around the corpse and between you and the corpse. While slotted, increases your damage done by 3%. (Cast time: instant, Range: 28 meters, Cost: 3240 magicka).
- Mystic Siphon: You restore magicka while siphoning the corpses.
- Detonating Siphon: Converts into a stamina ability and deals Disease damage. The corpse explodes at the end of the siphon, dealing additional damage. (Cost: 2754 stamina)
Bone Tyrant – Tank
- Death Gleaning: With a bone tyrant ability slotted: whenever an enemy you are in combat with dies within 28 meters of you, you restore X magicka and stamina. This effect can occur once every 2 seconds.
- Disdain Harm: Reduce the damage you take from damage over time abilities by X% while you have a bone tyrant ability active.
- Health Avarice: Increase your healing received by X% for each bone tyrant ability slotted.
- Last Grasp: Increases your max health by X.
- Ultimate – Bone Goliath Transformation: Become a life draining bone goliath, increasing your max health by X for 20 seconds and immediately restoring X health. While transformed, your light attacks restore X health and your fully charged heavy attacks restore X health. (Cast time: instant, Target: self, Duration: 20 seconds, Cost: 250 ultimate, CRIMINAL ACT)
- Ravenous Goliath: Gain an aura that drains nearby enemies of their health (X% of your max health per seocnd).
- Pummeling Goliath: Gain an AoE bash attack (conal).
- Death Scythe: Slice into your enemy’s life force, dealing X magic damage. You heal for X% of your max health for the first enemy hit and an additional X% of your max health for each additional enemy hit up to 5 additional enemies. (Cast time: instant, Target: cone, Radius: 7 meters, Cost: 3240 magicka)
- Swift Scythe: Gain a heal over time (X% max health over 5 seconds).
- Ruinous Scythe: Converts to a stamina ability and prevents healing done to your target (applies X healing absorption for 2 seconds. Note that this is NOT a major or minor debuff). (Cost: 3240 stamina)
- Summoner’s Armor: Wrap yourself in hardened bone, granting you Major Resolve and Major Ward, increasing your physical resistance and spell resistance by 5280 for 18 seconds. Creates a corpse when complete. (Cast time: instant, Target: self, Duration: 17 seconds, Cost: 2700 magicka)
- Summoner’s Armor: Reduces the cost of your necromancer summon abilities by X%.
- Beckoning Armor: Pulls in ranged enemies (enemies that strike you with ranged attacks are pulled towards you once every three seconds).
- Bitter Harvest: Sap the lingering life from fresh corpses, granting you 2 ultimate and healing you for X health every 1 second for 2 seconds per corpse consumed. While slotted, your damage taken is reduced by 3%. This ability scales off of maximum health (Cast time: instant, Target: area, Radius: 12 meters)
- Deaden Pain: Gain major protection for the duration, reducing the damage you take by 30%.
- Necrotic Potency: Grants more ultimate per second.
- Bone Totem: Call forth an effigy of bone that gives minor protection to you and your allies for 8 seconds, reducing your damage taken by 8%. After 2 seconds, the totem instills fear in enemies, holding them in place (hard CC fear) for 4 seconds. (Cast time: instant, Target: ground, Duration: 8 seconds, Radius: 6 meters, Cost: 4050 magicka)
- Remote Totem: The totem can be summoned up to 28 meters away.
- Agony Totem: Ally can activate a synergy to damage (applies a DoT for 5 seconds) and apply minor vulnerability to enemies.
- Grave Grasp: Summon skeletal claws from the ground, snaring your enemies by X% for 5 seconds and inflicting minor maim for 5 seconds, reducing their damage done by 15%. (Cast time: instant, Target: area, Area: 18×5 meters, Duration: 1 second, Cost: 3780 magicka)
- Empowering Grasp: Hitting your or allies grants empower for 5 seconds. Hitting your skeletal mage/mender enhances their effectiveness by X% for 5 seconds.
- Ghostly Embrace: Each patch can immobilize one enemy for X seconds.
Living Death – Healing
- Undead Confederate: While you have a necromancer summon active, your magicka and stamina recovery is increased by X.
- Corpse Consumption: When you use an ability on a corpse, you generate X ultimate. This effect can occur once every 16 seconds.
- Near-Death Experience: While you have a living death ability slotted, your critical strike chance with all healing abilities is increased by up to 20% in proportion to the severity of the target’s wounds.
- Curative Curse: While you have a negative effect on you, your healing done is increased by X%.
- Ultimate – Reanimate: Bring your allies back from the brink of death, resurrecting up to 3 allies at the target location. (Cast time: instant, Target: ground, Range: 28 meters, Radius: 12 meters, Cost: 200 ultimate)
- Renewing Animation: You restore magicka and stamina for each ally you resurrect.
- Animate Blastbones: You consume up to 3 other corpses in the area and summon blastbones.
- Render Flesh: Sacrifice your own power to repair damaged flesh, healing you or an ally in front of you for X health but applying minor defile to yourself for 4 seconds, reducing your healing received and health recovery by 15%. (Cast time: instant, Target: area, Area: 28×12 meters, Cost: 4320 magicka)
- Resistant Flesh: Grant resistance to the target equal to half of the amount healed.
- Blood Sacrifice: Consume a corpse to heal a second target.
- Expunge: Embrace the power of death, removing up to 2 negative effects from yourself. While slotted, reduces the cost of all your abilities by 3%. (Cast Time: instant, Cost: 1940 health, Target: self)
- Expunge and Vivify: Restores X magicka and stamina per effect removed.
- Hexproof: Increases the amount of effects removed.
- Life amid Death: Release residual fragments of fallen souls at the target location, healing you and your allies for X health. Consumes a corpse on cast to continue to heal you and your allies in the area for X seconds. (Cast time: instant, Target: ground, Range: 28 meters, Radius: 8 meters, Cost: 3510 magicka)
- Enduring Undeath: Can consume multiple corpses to increase the duration of the heal over time (up to 5, each corpse extending the duration by 5 seconds) .
- Renewing Undeath: Consuming a corpse also removes up to 3 negative effects and gives a HoT.
- Spirit Mender: Conjure a ghostly spirit to do your bidding and stay by your side for 16 seconds. The spirit heals you or the lowest health ally around you every 2 seconds, restoring X health. Creates a corpse on death. (Cast time: instant, Target: self, Duration: 16 seconds, Cost: 2430 magicka, CRIMINAL ACT)
- Spirit Guardian: While active, X% of the damage you take is transferred to the spirit instead.
- Intensive Mender: The spirit heals for three times the amount but lasts half as long.
- Restoring Tether: Siphon the last remnants of life from a corpse, healing for X over 12 seconds to yourself and all allies between you and the corpse. (Cast time: instant, Range: 28 meters, Cost: 3240 magicka)
- Braided Tether: Also heals allies in a radius around you.
- Mortal Coil: You also restore stamina while siphoning the corpse.