Unchained – Magicka Dragon Knight PvP Build
Build Written By: Dottz Gaming – PC NA
Role: Damage Dealer
Patch: Summerset Isles
Table of Contents
- Tips & Misc
- Contact Info
- Update Log
Welcome to DottzGaming.com’s Magicka Dragon Knight DPS PvP Build, Unchained, for the Elder Scrolls Online! This build is intended for PvP of all kinds: battlegrounds, Cyrodiil, dueling, and Imperial City. This build can be played in both CP and no-CP pvp without any changes to the build!
My first night of field testing a higher damage light armored build was… bad. This patch, damage is a lot higher than it was previously and trying to fight in a light armored magDK build in the current meta has proven extremely difficult. Also, although I thought dropping vampire was worth it, the new wings simply is not enough for mobility and I believe we still need to crutch on vampirism’s mist form as a magDK for PvP. In addition, after a long night of testing, I realized I was going to need more healing than I previously thought on my other heavy armored build because damage is so high. So with all those things considered, I figured it was time to just scrap both builds and start fresh now that Summerset is live.
After talking with some other good players I know and bouncing around ideas, I decided to go back to a similar playstyle that I had back in Clockwork City but modified it a bit to be more relevant in the current patch. Based on my testing and discussion with those players, my initial thoughts about the patch have been confirmed: DKs will perform their best in tankier sword and board builds. Every single non-SnB build I have tried has failed this patch, so at least for me, tanky SnB is the way to go. The key with this was baking enough damage into the build to still kill people reliably, and that’s what this setup does. This build is tanky due to the heavy armor and being able to block, offers plenty of damage via penetration and spell damage and has TONS of healing to keep you alive.
Keep in mind that PvP builds are very personal. This is what worked for ME. If you don’t like something about it, change it to fit your playstyle.
|Magicka Dragon Knight PvP Build|
|Head||Blood Spawn||Heavy||Impenetrable||Prismatic||Vet Spindleclutch 2|
|Shoulders||Blood Spawn||Heavy||Impenetrable||Magicka||Undaunted Chest|
|Necklace||Spinner's Garments||Jewelry||Arcane||Spell Damage||Malabal Tor or Guild Trader|
|Ring||Spinner's Garments||Jewelry||Arcane||Spell Damage||Malabal Tor or Guild Trader|
|Ring||Spinner's Garments||Jewelry||Arcane||Magicka Recovery||Malabal Tor or Guild Trader|
|Weapon 1||Spinner's Garments||1h Weapon||Nirnhoned||Spell Damage||Malabal Tor or Guild Trader|
|Shield 1||Spinner's Garments||Shield||Sturdy||Magicka||Malabal Tor or Guild Trader|
|Weapon 2||Spinner's Garments||Ice Staff||Defending||Absorb Magicka / Poisons||Malabal Tor or Guild Trader|
- 1h/Shield and Destruction Staff: I really believe 1/shield is the way to go this patch. Damage is really, really high right now and being that our mobility is not great, we need to be able to mitigate damage via block so we can reach our targets. Ice Destruction staff was chosen as a way to give us access to Elemental Drain, but still allow us to block on our back bar.
- Shacklebreaker: A staple magicka dragon knight set, this gives us access to a great stat pool for our magicka/stamina, magicka recovery and spell damage. Just a great all-around set.
- Spinner’s Garments: Recommended to me by a friend, I considered this set in the past but never ran it and instead elected to run BSW in similar versions of this build. But after taking a second look at the set, I really can see why this set is amazing for magicka dragon knight. The sheer amount of penetration gained from the 5 piece grants us so much additional damage, and it gives our heavy armor build the same penetration levels as a light armored build.
- Blood Spawn: Previously I’ve run Valkyn Skoria in this slot, but I think Blood Spawn is going to be much more beneficial for this build. The extra stamina recovery will help maintain our stamina pool, the extra resistances will help keep us tanky in a very high-damage meta, and the ultimate return will help us with both damage and sustain. In duels, this could potentially be swapped out for Skoria for extra burst. For open world though, Blood Spawn is definitely the way to go – it just offers too much.
All points into Magicka.
Main Bar – Sword & Shield: Flame Lash, Flames of Oblivion, Fossilize, Choking Talons, Coagulating Blood, Ferocious Leap
Back Bar – Ice Staff: Degeneration, Burning Embers, Elemental Drain, Volatile Armor, Elusive Mist, Shooting Star
Note: In group play, replace Flames of Oblivion with Draw Essence and Shooting Star with Elemental Rage.
- Flame Lash: Bread and Butter spammable. Deals great damage, and when power lash procs, you get a heal, a stun, and extra damage. Be prepared for people to whisper you telling you “all you do is spam whip” when you kill them. All these flavors and they chose to be salty.
- Flames of Oblivion: Gives us a source of major prophecy front bar to help our damage, and deals 3 instant bursts of damage over time. If timed properly with a power lash or leap, this can help provide some amazing burst.
- Fossilize: Amazing stun, I recommend this over Stone Giant any day. You can’t mess up with this ability, and the best part is that it has an immobilize after the stun is over.
- Choking Talons: Every time I try running without talons I always find myself going back to it – the skill is just so great. This gives us the ability to control and lock down a lot of players, gives us another way to proc power lash, and puts minor maim on all of our opponents which lowers all of their damage done by 15%.
- Coagulating Blood: Our defensive burst heal on the build. I’m choosing to run this on my front bar similar to previous builds for the same reason – I like to have the skill where my spell damage is highest to ensure that the heal has the biggest possible tooltip.
- Ferocious Leap: Tons of damage, CC, a damage shield, and it looks really cool. This ultimate is a staple in any Magicka DK PvP build.
- Degeneration: I’m using this over Structured Entropy because we have a destruction staff on our back bar, so since our light/heavy attacks will deal some decent damage, we have a chance to proc a decent heal. Also, I didn’t like how structured entropy made my execute range bigger.
- Burning Embers: Great single target DoT that can be placed on multiple people that heals you based on damage done. By boosting the damage of this ability, we give ourselves offensive based healing capabilities which is fantastic.
- Elemental Drain: This ability – I can’t say enough good things about it. Elemental Drain is the main reason I chose a destruction staff over a restoration staff. Not only do we get major breach, but it also gives us a massive boost to our sustain for 0 cost.
- Volatile Armor: Gives us a lot of extra resistances and adds another DoT to the build. This ability is really good for making us tanky.
- Elusive Mist: I tried running without it and I simply don’t like it. Even though vampires are taking extra damage this patch, I still think it’s worth it for mist form alone. The magicka dragon knight just needs the mobility this skill provides so much to get out of tricky situations. I 100% recommend running it.
- Shooting Star: This ultimate deals a ton of damage and grants us Mage’s Guild passives on our back bar. While we do normally use Ferocious Leap, this skill is great for helping us nuke down hard to kill targets and provide big battle roars for a nice flood of resources.
- Draw Essence (alternate): If playing in an organized group, AoE skills are your friend, so having the single target damage every 5 seconds from Flames of Oblivion wont be as beneficial as what Draw Essence provides. This skill brings really solid AoE burst, healing, and grants resource return based on enemies hit.
- Elemental Rage (alternate): This skill is amazing for group play, providing a lot of AoE DPS and snares all of the enemies caught within it (since we are using a frost staff). Combine this with other ultimates used by teammates and you’ll be able to melt large groups with ease.
Vampire vs. Mortal
For this build I recommend playing a vampire. The 10% extra recoveries and undeath are nice, but the main reason we continue to run vampire even in a patch where fire is hitting hard is because of Mist Form. The magDK is too reliant on it for mobility to not have it (at least in my opinion).
CHAMPION POINT 750 SETUP
THE MAGE (BLUE)
- Blessed – 19
- Elfborn – 31
- Spell Erosion – 52
- Elemental Expert – 64
- Master-at-Arms – 66
- Thaumaturge – 18
THE THIEF (GREEN)
- Warlord – 56
- Bashing Focus – 3
- Arcanist – 75
- Tumbling – 44
- Shadow Ward – 72
THE WARRIOR (RED)
- Ironclad – 56
- Resistant – 53
- Thick Skinned – 48
- Hardy – 37
- Elemental Defender – 37
- Quick Recovery – 19
Other Important Info
- If you feel you have enough sustain
- Longfin Pasty with Melon Sauce: Maximum Health, Magicka and Stamina
- If you feel you need more sustain
- Witchmother’s Potent Brew: Maximum Health, Magicka and Magicka Recovery
Atronach – Increased Magicka Recovery
Dark Elf – Normally I list other alternative races, but with how potent fire is now and our reliance on vampirism, the Dark Elf flame resistance is too needed. Besides that, Dunmer just offers the perfect racial passives for a MagDK and is the best race damage wise.
Tri-Stat (Bugloss, Columbine and Mountain Flower)
Class (all), Heavy Armor (all), Light Armor (all except the ones that require you to wear 5 pieces), Medium Armor (all except the ones that require you to wear 5 pieces), 1h & Shield (all), Destruction Staff (all except Tri-Focus), Mages Guild (all except persuasive passive), Undaunted (all), Racial (all), Alchemy (Medicinal Use), Assault (all), Support (all except the first)
Tips & Misc.
- Maintain your buffs to maximize the amount of tankiness and damage potential that the build offers.
- Maintain Cauterize at all times to ensure you always have that HoT running on you.
- Your offense is also your defense. If you need a BIG heal in a pinch and don’t have an ultimate or a potion up, re-apply Burning Embers. The re-application of burning embers will cause you to be healed since the original DoT “ended”, and you’ll be maintaining the damage pressure on your opponent.
- Elemental Drain maintenance is very important for damage and sustain. Always make sure this ability is up on your opponent.
- Use Talons and Fossilize to lock down and control your opponents. MagDK’s have a lot of control, using it to your advantage will be key in scoring kills.
- When your opponent is rooted, stand behind them so they can’t hit you.
- Stunning someone before you use an ultimate will cause them to take the full brunt of your assault, so use Fossilize in those key moments.
If you have any questions about the build, join our discord server and ask @Dottz about the build!
6/1/2018 – Build created.
6/8/2018 – CP updated after initial playtesting
DISCLAIMER: The image used for this article’s thumbnail is not created by or owned by Dottz Gaming. The image and any copyrights, trademarks, and registered trademarks present in the image belong to their respective owners. This image’s inclusion on this website does not imply any association or affiliation with the DottzGaming. The image’s usage is believed to fall under the “fair use” clause of the United States of America copyright law. If there are any issues with its use, please contact DottzGaming and the image will be promptly removed.