[ARCHIVED] The Enchanter – Magicka Dragon Knight PvP Build
[ARCHIVED]: This build has been archived, which means it is no longer being updated. However, this web-page will be left up for those who still would like to refer to it.
Build Written By: Dottz Gaming – PC NA
Role: Damage Dealer
Table of Contents
- Tips & Misc
- Contact Info
- Update Log
Welcome to DottzGaming.com’s Magicka Dragon Knight DPS PvP Build, the Enchanter, for the Elder Scrolls Online! This build is intended for PvP of all kinds: battlegrounds, Cyrodiil, dueling, and Imperial City. This build can be played in both CP and no-CP pvp without any changes to the build!
This MagDK PvP build accomplishes what I have been chasing since the Summerset patch released, (which made my old dual wield “Dragon Spirit” build no longer viable): creating a high damage dual wield magDK setup that has enough survivability to 1vX. The ability to do this was thanks to an update to enchants in Murkmire that fixed their proc rate. Enchants now correctly proc 100% of the time when they are not on cooldown. Also, anyone who’s watched my channel for a long time also knows that when I first started on my magicka nightblade, my first successful build I ever ran on him was a dual wield Torug’s build with the goal of going for large enchant damage. So looking at the fix to enchant procs and taking inspiration from an old build of mine, I took the core principles applied them to my Dragon Knight, and it worked like an absolute charm.
I know some people are going to read that paragraph and say “Dottz is just hopping on the Torug’s bandwagon”, but with the way this build plays, I’m not really doing that. I do not use a single weapon skill in the build, and am using Torug’s for the light attack damage boost only. That means the incremental patch that ZoS has planned to change how enchants proc will be not effect this build; it’ll be just as effective.
This build is definitely the most fun I’ve had on my MagDK since Summerset released. The high damage dual wield style is my favorite way to play the character, and it makes me happy to see that it’s finally viable once again. If you like a really high damage playstyle, this build is for you. We sport really great resistances on our back bar as well, and have a ton of healing, so we arent just a glass cannon. It isnt as tanky has a heavy armor SnB block build, but it’s tanky enough for us to do what we have to do outnumbered.
Keep in mind that PvP builds are very personal. This is what worked for ME. If you don’t like something about it, change it to fit your playstyle.
|Magicka Dragon Knight PvP Build|
|Head||An error occurred retrieving the set data||Light||Impenetrable||Prismatic||Vet Spindleclutch 2|
|Shoulders||An error occurred retrieving the set data||Light||Impenetrable||Magicka||Undaunted Chest|
|Gloves||An error occurred retrieving the set data||Light||Impenetrable||Magicka||Malabal Tor or Guild Trader|
|Legs||An error occurred retrieving the set data||Medium||Impenetrable||Prismatic||Crafted|
|Chest||An error occurred retrieving the set data||Heavy||Impenetrable||Prismatic||Crafted|
|Belt||An error occurred retrieving the set data||Light||Well-Fitted||Magicka||Malabal Tor or Guild Trader|
|Boots||An error occurred retrieving the set data||Light||Well-Fitted||Magicka||Crafted|
|Necklace||An error occurred retrieving the set data||Jewelry||Arcane||Reduce Spell Cost||Malabal Tor or Guild Trader|
|Ring||An error occurred retrieving the set data||Jewelry||Arcane||Magicka Recovery||Malabal Tor or Guild Trader|
|Ring||An error occurred retrieving the set data||Jewelry||Arcane||Spell Damage||Malabal Tor or Guild Trader|
|Weapon 1||An error occurred retrieving the set data||1h Sword||Infused||Flame||Crafted|
|Offhand 1||An error occurred retrieving the set data||1h Sword||Infused||Shock||Crafted|
|Weapon 2||An error occurred retrieving the set data||1h Weapon||Decisive||Restore Magicka||Crafted|
|Offhand 2||An error occurred retrieving the set data||Shield||Reinforced||Magicka||Crafted|
- Dual Wield & 1h/Shield: Dual wield is the obvious choice for our front bar weapons, giving us access to two strong enchant procs as opposed to one, and the highest amount of spell damage we can achieve (2k unbuffed for this build – UESP calculator is wrong for whatever reason). For the back bar, I went with a sword and shield for the ability to block on our back bar if need be, and give us extra defenses on our back bar. I also couldn’t fit a destruction staff skill on the back bar with how I wanted to play the build, so Ice Staff was out. The build has enough sustain between it’s recovery and cost reduction from armor and jewelry glyphs that Elemental Drain is also not needed
- Torug’s Pact: The set that makes this whole build work, it makes me so happy to see that my first ever theorycrafted build in ESO can now work reliably on my magDK. This set boosts our enchant damage by 30% and also reduces the cooldown by that amount. If you also combine this with infused weapons, we have huge enchant damage on top of our really good magicka and spell damage pools (which give us great tooltips on our skills). The burst from and enchant proccing plus one of our skills is huge, and makes our weaving just as powerful as using a skill.
- Spinner’s Garments: Many people may be surprised to see this set on a light armor build, but it fits perfectly for my second five piece set. Since I am not running a destruction staff, I immediately knew I would want to run spinner’s in this slot. Since Murkmire gave shields resistances, penetration is no longer ever a wasted stat unless you’re over penetrating, so my goal is to always achieve at least 9k+ pen on my damaging builds. This set, plus the light armor passives and a dash into Spell Erosion allow me to achieve that threshold I aim for.
- Blood Spawn: A staple set for the Magicka DK, this set offers us a lot. The extra stamina recovery will help maintain our stamina pool, the extra resistances will help keep us tanky in a very high-damage meta, and the ultimate return will help us with both damage and sustain. I’ve also tested Valkyn Skoria on this build, but I prefer Blood Spawn. The extra tankiness, sustain, and damage via extra ults that Blood Spawn offers is better than the Skoria burst in my opinion.
All points into Magicka.
Main Bar – Dual Wield: Flame Lash, Burning Embers, Shattering Rocks, Elemental Weapon, Inner Light, Ferocious Leap
Back Bar – Sword & Shield: Degeneration, Cauterize, Coagulating Blood, Volatile Armor, Reflective Plate, Temporal Guard
NOTE: If you look at the stats in the calculator, they’re slightly off for some reason (specifically the spell damage). Refer to the build video for stat spread if you’re interested.
- Flame Lash: Bread and Butter spammable. Deals great damage, and when power lash procs, you get a heal and extra damage. Be prepared for people to whisper you telling you “all you do is spam whip” when you kill them. All these flavors and they chose to be salty.
- Burning Embers: Great single target DoT that can be placed on multiple people that heals you based on damage done. By boosting the damage of this ability, we give ourselves offensive based healing capabilities which is fantastic.
- Shattering Rocks: Amazing stun, I recommend this over Stone Giant any day. You can’t mess up with this ability, and the best part is that you get healed if the enemy attacks you within 4 seconds after the stun. You can also run Fossilize for the root if you dont think the heal is worth it.
- Elemental Weapon: The burst that this skill allows you to pull off in this build is nothing short of insane. This is also actually used just as much as flame lash in the build. Some people may think it’s weird to have two spammable skills in the build, but they actually work very well in conjunction. I tend to use Flame Lash after a stun to set my target off balance to setup power lash for big damage or a heal, or to animation cancel an elemental weapon powered light attack, otherwise I’m using Elemental Weapon. You can also pull off huge burst if you animation cancel an elemental weapon powered light attack with a power lash. If you dont have summerset, Empowering Chains should be used here.
- Inner Light: This skill gives us major prophecy, which boosts our crit giving us better offensive and defensive capabilities, and give us a big boost to our magicka pool to grant us more damage and healing.
- Ferocious Leap: Tons of damage, CC, a damage shield, and it looks really cool. This ultimate is a staple in any Magicka DK PvP build.
- Degeneration: I’m using this over Structured Entropy since I don’t like how structured entropy makes your execute range bigger on your back bar. Plus, Degeneration also gives us some minor healing on light attack damage, and any source of healing is always welcome.
- Cauterize: This skill is one of those that the more I use it the more I like it. This gives us major prophecy on our back bar, which helps for getting nice crit heals on the back bar, but also gives us a powerful heal over time for an extremely cheap cost. Between this, burning embers and power lash, I dont need to use Coagulating Blood nearly as much as I do on other builds.
- Coagulating Blood: Our defensive burst heal on the build. You should be primarily using Cauterize, Burning Embers and Power Lash for healing, and this as your emergency heal.
- Volatile Armor: Gives us a lot of extra resistances and adds another DoT to the build. This ability is really good for making us tanky.
- Reflective Plate: For this build, Wings is definitely more beneficial than mist form. While this build does have good tankiness, it doesnt have the same level of healing or consistent resistances as a heavy armor build, so vampirism makes you a bit too vulnerable to flame and dawnbreaker. Because of this, we run Reflective Plate as our form of root break and immunity, plus having the projectile reflect is always fantastic for people who spam snipe, clench, etc.
- Temporal Guard: This ultimate is primarily slotted for the minor protection, which gives us an 8% damage reduction on our back bar, but it also can be useful if you get hit by a massive amount of burst and want to regain all that HP back. If you dont have Summerset, use the 1h and Shield ultimate here.
Vampire vs. Mortal
For this build I recommend playing a mortal or vampire. The 10% extra recoveries and undeath are nice, but the main reasons against vampirism is that fire hits hard, and many stam classes choose to run dawnbreaker. Plus, the new Reflective Plate is a great choice for those who do not want to run vampirism, so we no longer need to rely on vampirism for getting out of roots and snares. With the changes in Murkmire though, Dawnbreaker has seen less play in favor of the 2h ultimate, making vampirism a bit more viable than previous patches. In the end, I think this is personal choice. If you want to remain mortal, run Reflective plate. If you want to run vampirism, use Elusive Mist.
CHAMPION POINT 810 SETUP
THE MAGE (BLUE)
- Blessed – 27
- Elfborn – 56
- Spell Erosion – 13
- Elemental Expert – 75
- Shattering Blows – 18
- Master-at-Arms – 81
THE THIEF (GREEN)
- Warlord – 72
- Sprinter – 17
- Arcanist – 75
- Tumbling – 66
- Shadow Ward – 40
THE WARRIOR (RED)
- Ironclad – 56
- Resistant – 39
- Light Armor Focus – 17
- Thick Skinned – 56
- Hardy – 43
- Elemental Defender – 32
- Quick Recovery – 27
Other Important Info
Longfin Pasty with Melon Sauce: Maximum Health, Magicka and Stamina
Atronach – Increased Magicka Recovery
Dark Elf – Normally I list other alternative races, but dunmer is just the perfect race for magDK. Their passives just fit what the class needs – extra stamina and magicka, huge boost to flame damage, etc – too well to run another race. Dunmer also is the highest damaging option for MagDK, and we are going for a lot of damage in this setup.
Tri-Stat (Bugloss, Columbine and Mountain Flower)
Class (all), Light Armor (all), Heavy Armor (all except the ones that require you to wear 5 pieces), Medium Armor (all except the ones that require you to wear 5 pieces), 1h & Shield (all), Dual Wield (Twin Blade & Blunt), Mages Guild (all except persuasive passive), Undaunted (all), Racial (all), Alchemy (Medicinal Use), Assault (all), Support (all except the first), Psijic Order (all)
Tips & Misc.
- Maintain your buffs to maximize the amount of tankiness and damage potential that the build offers.
- Maintain Cauterize at all times to ensure you always have that HoT running on you.
- Your offense is also your defense. If you need a BIG heal in a pinch and don’t have an ultimate or a potion up, re-apply Burning Embers. The re-application of burning embers will cause you to be healed since the original DoT “ended”, and you’ll be maintaining the damage pressure on your opponent.
- Combine Elemental Weapon with a light attack weave, canceled by Flame/Power Lash for huge burst damage.
- Use Shattering Rocks to stun your opponent prior to a leap to maximize its damage. Also, an amazing combo to use is Shattering Rocks -> Flame Lash -> Elemental Weapon -> Light Attack -> Power Lash. The burst from that combo has the potential to kill someone even without needing leap.
- The build has amazing resistances on the back bar and has great healing, but you need to be careful on your front bar where your resistances are a bit lower.
If you have any questions about the build, join our discord server and ask @Dottz about the build!
10/30/2018 – Build created
10/31/2018 – Build updated after further testing and optimization