Greatsword/Sword PvE Tank Build New World
Build Written By: Dottz Gaming – PC NA
Table of Contents
Welcome to DottzGaming.com’s Sword Greatsword New World Tank PvE Build! This build is intended for tanking in expeditions, sporting two weapons that can strongly defend against enemy attacks.
The Sword and Shield is your primary tanking weapon in New World, so every tank build will have it equipped. Where a lot of the flexibility comes in is with the secondary weapon. For this setup, we decided to pair the Greatsword, which offers some great utility and uptime on fortify. If you’re looking for a highly survivable tank build that has the ability to maintain aggro with the ability to block effectively on both weapon bars, this setup will be for you!
Keep in mind that builds are very personal. This is what worked for ME. If you don’t like something about it, change it to fit your playstyle.
|Head||Sentry||Heavy||Refreshing & Ward||Diamond||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Chest||Sentry||Heavy||Refreshing & Ward||Diamond||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Gloves||Sentry||Heavy||Refreshing & Ward||Diamond||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Legs||Sentry||Heavy||Refreshing & Ward||Malachite||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Boots||Sentry||Heavy||Refreshing & Ward||Malachite||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Ring||Soldier||Jewelry||Keen Awareness||Malachite||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Earring||Soldier||Jewelry||Refreshing Toast||Diamond||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Weapon 1||Soldier||Sword||Keenly Fortified||Carnelian||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Weapon 2||Soldier||Greatsword||Keenly Jagged||Carnelian||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
NOTE: Ward refers to any of the defensive wards for mob types, such as “Corrupted Ward.” More details can be found below under “Perks.”
- Equipment Load (Heavy): Heavy armor, in my opinion, is the best equipment load for the build. Heavy armor helps the sword and shield a lot, giving us block stability to allow us to block longer. We also get 20% increased duration on crowd control, allowing us to lock down enemies for a long time. We also get a ton of tankiness from being in heavy, giving this build the ability to tank out damage for a long time!
- Name/Set: We run a combination of set types in order to help us hit the maximum Constitution perk (300) without too much overflow, since the scaling dramatically drops after that point. When no extra constitution is needed, strength is prioritized to help boost our offensive capabilities.
- Perks: For jewelry, Health tends to be the best Amulet Perk to help pad your max HP. Refreshing Toast is used for our Earring Perk, to allow us to use our potions much more frequently, thus increasing our HP/MP sustain by a ton. Finally, we go with Keen Awareness on our ring for more crit chance. We choose our defensive ward perk based on the PvE instance we are doing (mob type we will be fighting), and Refreshing for some cooldown reduction! In terms of skill perks, we want whatever skill perks we can get to enhance the capabilities of our build. Secondary perks to consider would be freedom, vigor, invigorated, elemental aversion, and physical aversion. Weapon wise, you want the bane perk for the mob type you’re fighting. The other weapon perks are up to personal choice!
- Gems: For this setup, we went for a mixture of Malachite and Diamond gems in the armor. This will give us boosts physical damage reduction and elemental damage absorption, giving us a good spread of damage reduction for the game’s varied enemy types. Carnelian gems are used in both weapons, since those are required for PvE tanking to allow our abilities to taunt.
- Constitution: 190
- Strength: 5
NOTE: Click here to view the skill tree calculator.
- Health Potion
- Regeneration Potion
- Strength Food
- Flex – the choice is up to you!
Rotation & Tips
- The sword bar on this build is the primary weapon bar for this build. Utilize Shield Bash to stun opponents and AoE taunt around the struck enemy, utilize Defiant Stance when you need to reduce your damage and taunt all enemies around you, and utilize Whirling Blade to apply rend to all enemies (allowing allies to deal more damage) and lower the cooldowns on your two taunts! Since this is a heavy armor tank build, you should be looking to block significantly more than dodging.
- The Greatsword also offers a means to block, but its biggest benefit is the amount of fortify the weapon provides. Utilize Roaring Rupture to apply Fortify to yourself and weaken to your opponents. You can also use Steadfast Strike to deal damage to your enemies, pull them towards you, regenerates stamina and generate threat. You can also use Calamity Counter to effectively block with your Greatsword, and then turn that back onto your enemies as damage.
- As you start taking damage, use your regeneration potion. This will help keep your health topped off.
- When you take a big burst of damage, use your health potion to help recover!
- If you are in a desperate need for health and your potions are on cooldown, get some distance from your opponent and eat food. As long as you dont take damage, your health will quickly regenerate. Once your health gets to a respectable amount or a potion comes off of cooldown, feel free to re-enter the fight!
If you have any questions about the build, join our discord server and ask @Dottz about the build!
11/2/2022 – Build created