Greatsword/Hatchet PvE Build New World
Build Written By: Dottz Gaming – PC NA
Role: Damage Dealer
Table of Contents
Welcome to DottzGaming.com’s Greatsword Hatchet New World PvE Build! This build is intended for general overland PvE and expeditions!
The Greatsword Hatchet build is a bruiser pve build, utilizing the Hatchet and Greatsword for two tanky weapon bars. However, with the way this build is setup, we are getting the maximum amount of damage that both weapons have to offer! The Greatsword is used primarily for applying Rend (and subsequently deal damage to take advantage of that), while the Hatchet is our primary damage and healing bar, and giving us access to some ranged damage. If you’re looking for a bruiser build with the ability to actually output some damage, this setup will be for you!
Keep in mind that builds are very personal. This is what worked for ME. If you don’t like something about it, change it to fit your playstyle.
|Head||Barbarian||Medium||Refreshing & Ward||Diamond||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Chest||Barbarian||Heavy||Refreshing & Ward||Diamond||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Gloves||Barbarian||Medium||Refreshing & Ward||Diamond||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Legs||Barbarian||Light||Refreshing & Ward||Malachite||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Boots||Barbarian||Heavy||Refreshing & Ward||Malachite||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Ring||Soldier||Jewelry||Keen Awareness||Malachite||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Earring||Sentry||Jewelry||Refreshing Toast||Diamond||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Weapon 1||Knight||Greatsword||Keenly Fortified||Jasper||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Weapon 2||Knight||Hatchet||Keenly Jagged||Emerald||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
NOTE: Ward refers to any of the defensive wards for mob types, such as “Corrupted Ward.” More details can be found below under “Perks.”
- Equipment Load (Medium): Medium armor, in my opinion, is the best equipment load for the build. This gives us the best of all worlds, giving us a decent amount of armor, a solid dodge (which we get 3 of), a 10% damage and healing boost as well as a 10% duration increase to our crowd control skills.
- Name/Set: We run a combination of set types in order to help us hit the maximum strength perk (300) without too much overflow, since the scaling dramatically drops after that point. When no extra strength is needed, health is prioritized to help boost our defensive capabilities. You can mix and match the sets as you want, as long as your strength is as close to 300 as it can be with everything else in constitution.
- Perks: For jewelry, Health tends to be the best Amulet Perk to help pad your max HP. Refreshing Toast is used for our Earring Perk, to allow us to use our potions much more frequently, thus increasing our HP/MP sustain by a ton. Finally, we go with Keen Awareness on our ring for more crit chance. We choose our defensive ward perk based on the PvE instance we are doing (mob type we will be fighting), and Refreshing for some cooldown reduction! In terms of skill perks, we want whatever skill perks we can get to enhance the capabilities of our build. Secondary perks to consider would be freedom, vigor, invigorated, elemental aversion, and physical aversion. Weapon wise, you want the bane perk for the mob type you’re fighting. The other weapon perks are up to personal choice!
- Gems: For this setup, we went for a mixture of Malachite and Diamond gems in the armor. This will give us boosts physical damage reduction and elemental damage absorption, giving us a good spread of damage reduction for the game’s varied enemy types. Emerald is used for extra execute damage on our Hatchet, while the Jasper is used to help us turn the tide against our opponents while on our Greatsword bar, giving us a boost to damage after receiving damage.
All points into Strength.
NOTE: Click here to view the skill tree calculator.
- Health Potion
- Regeneration Potion
- Strength / Constitution Food
- Flex – the choice is up to you!
Rotation & Tips
- The Greatsword bar on this build offers us a ton of AoE damage and rend application. Use a heavy attack to put yourself into onslaught stance, and then follow it up with Skyward Slash to apply 3 stacks of rend. Afterwards, use Relentless Rush to deal damage and gain empower, and then utilizing the empower and the rend, you can output a massive amount of damage with Crosscut.
- The Hatchet offers a lot of self healing, CC immunity, and even a cheat death effect. Utilize Berserk to break yourself out of crowd control, heal yourself, increase your damage and make yourself uninterruptable (since it has so many effects, use it as the situation calls for it). Once you’re buffed with Berserk, use Rending Throw to apply Rend to your opponents, followed up by Feral Rush to get on top of your opponent.
- As you start taking damage, use your regeneration potion. This will help keep your health topped off.
- When you take a big burst of damage, use your health potion to help recover!
- If you are in a desperate need for health and your potions are on cooldown, get some distance from your opponent and eat food. As long as you dont take damage, your health will quickly regenerate. Once your health gets to a respectable amount or a potion comes off of cooldown, feel free to re-enter the fight!
If you have any questions about the build, join our discord server and ask @Dottz about the build!
11/2/2022 – Build created