Rapier/Fire Staff PvP Build New World
Build Written By: Dottz Gaming – PC NA
Role: Damage Dealer
Table of Contents
Welcome to DottzGaming.com’s Rapier Fire Staff New World PvP Build! This build is intended for PvP of all kinds: open world PvP, duels, outpost rush and wars!
The Rapier is (in my opinion) the best melee weapon to combine with an intelligence weapon. The rapier has secondary scaling with intelligence, while the fire staff has primary intelligence scaling. By placing an intelligence gem in our rapier, we are giving a percentage of its damage primary intelligence scaling, dramatically boosting its damage output! The rapier and fire staff combo offers an extremely balanced playstyle: great DoT pressure and burst from the fire staff, fantastic CC, burst and defensive capabilities from the rapier, with both weapons offering fantastic mobility. One of the biggest questions I get about this setup is how it compares to Rapier and Ice Gauntlet. In my opinion, the Rapier and Fire Staff has superior damage and mobility, while the Rapier and Ice Gauntlet offers more tankiness and control. Choose whichever playstyle you prefer, but for me, I am a huge fan of this setup! The Rapier/Fire Staff is currently my favorite PvP build, and this is the exact setup I use on my character!
Keep in mind that PvP builds are very personal. This is what worked for ME. If you don’t like something about it, change it to fit your playstyle.
|Head||Occultist||Light||Resilient & Refreshing Ward||Onyx||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Chest||Occultist||Medium||Resilient & Refreshing Ward||Onyx||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Gloves||Occultist||Light||Resilient & Refreshing Ward||Onyx||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Legs||Occultist||Light||Resilient & Refreshing Ward||Onyx||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Boots||Occultist||Light||Resilient & Refreshing Ward||Onyx||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Earring||Sentry||Jewelry||Refreshing Toast||Opal||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Weapon 1||Druid||Rapier||Keenly Fortified||Aquamarine||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Weapon 2||Druid||Fire Staff||Keenly Empowered||Emerald||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
- Equipment Load (Light): Light armor, in my opinion, is the best equipment load for the build. This gives us the maximum damage bonus we can get, as well as 2 good dodge rolls. Since this build always wants to be at max range, we are mainly concerned with damage over survivability.
- Name/Set: We run a combination of set types in order to help us hit the maximum intelligence perk (300) without too much overflow, since the scaling dramatically drops after that point. When no extra intelligence is needed, health is prioritized to help boost our defensive capabilities. You can mix and match the sets as you want, as long as your intelligence is as close to 300 as it can be with everything else in constitution.
- Perks: For PvP, Resilient tends to be one of the best perks to give you a ton of critical damage resistance, to help prevent you from being bursted down. The other perk you are going to want is Refreshing Ward, which reduces your cooldowns as you take damage. Besides these perks, skill perks to augment your active abilities as well as Shirking Fortification are best for your final perk. For jewelry, Health tends to be the best Amulet Perk to help pad your max HP. Refreshing Toast is used for our Earring Perk, to allow us to use our potions much more frequently, thus increasing our HP/MP sustain by a ton. Finally, we go with Hearty on Light/Heavy setups to help give us more max stamina to work with, while we use Keen Awareness on medium builds for more crit chance (where the extra stamina is less needed). Weapon perks are chosen to help augment our build’s strengths!
- Gems: For this setup, we use Onyx and Opal gems in our gear. This will give us boosts physical damage reduction and elemental damage absorption, giving us a good spread of damage reduction for both magical and physical weapons, while focusing primarily on physical weapons (since they’re most prevalent in the meta). Aquamarine is used for primary intelligence stat scaling on our rapier, while the Emerald is used to help us execute opponents on our fire staff bar.
All points into Intelligence.
NOTE: Click here to view the skill tree calculator.
- Health Potion
- Regeneration Potion
- Intelligence / Constitution Food
- Mana Potion
Rotation & Tips
- From ranged, your goal is to open with Pillar of Fire (for the damage increase) and then start hitting your opponent with light attacks to stack burning. As your opponent is getting close, use Incinerate to push them back, deal damage and apply more burning. Since Incinerate has a long cast time, it’s good to use it as your opponent is getting close and not waiting until they’re right on top of you. You can then use Burn Out to move through your opponent, deal damage and then apply more burning.
- Once you get close to your opponent (or as they get close to you), try to predict when they’ll strike you and then counter it with a Riposte. From there, start using Evade followed by light attacks to lower its cooldown. Keep using Evade and Light Attacks until Riposte is back up (so you can re-stun them), or until they start getting low, in which case hit them with a Fleche followed by an Interruption attack once you’re behind them for the automatic critical.
- Burn Out and Fleche can also be used to kite towards or away from your opponent. Use them in different ways as the situation calls for it!
- As you start taking damage, use your regeneration potion. This will help keep your health topped off.
- When you take a big burst of damage, use your health potion to help recover!
- If you are in a desperate need for health and your potions are on cooldown, get some distance from your opponent and eat food. As long as you dont take damage, your health will quickly regenerate. Once your health gets to a respectable amount or a potion comes off of cooldown, feel free to re-enter the fight!
- When your mana gets low, use your mana potion!
If you have any questions about the build, join our discord server and ask @Dottz about the build!
10/21/2021 – Build created
1/1/2022 – Perks added!
9/19/2022 – gear & skills updated