Greataxe/Hatchet PvE Build New World
Build Written By: Dottz Gaming – PC NA
Role: Damage Dealer
Table of Contents
- Rotation & Tips
- Contact Info
- Update Log
Welcome to DottzGaming.com’s Greataxe Hatchet New World PvE Build! This build is intended for general overland PvE and expeditions!
Greataxe and Hatchet is one of the strongest weapon combinations in the game. These weapons together give you everything you need for success in New World: strong burst, the ability to chase down opponents, crowd control, self healing, CC immunity, an execute, ranged damage, and more! This build is extremely straightforward to pick up and play, and a guaranteed way to find success!
Keep in mind that builds are very personal. This is what worked for ME. If you don’t like something about it, change it to fit your playstyle.
|Head||Barbarian||Medium||Refreshing & Ward||Diamond||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Chest||Barbarian||Heavy||Refreshing & Ward||Diamond||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Gloves||Barbarian||Medium||Refreshing & Ward||Diamond||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Legs||Barbarian||Light||Refreshing & Ward||Malachite||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Boots||Barbarian||Heavy||Refreshing & Ward||Malachite||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Ring||Soldier||Jewelry||Keen Awareness||Malachite||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Earring||Sentry||Jewelry||Refreshing Toast||Diamond||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Weapon 1||Knight||Greataxe||Enchanted||Emerald||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
|Weapon 2||Knight||Hatchet||Keenly Jagged||Emerald||Crafted/Overland/Faction Vendor|
NOTE: Ward refers to any of the defensive wards for mob types, such as “Corrupted Ward.” More details can be found below under “Perks.”
- Equipment Load (Medium): Medium armor, in my opinion, is the best equipment load for the build. This gives us the best of all worlds, giving us a decent amount of armor, a solid dodge (which we get 3 of), a 10% damage and healing boost as well as a 10% duration increase to our crowd control skills.
- Name/Set: We run a combination of set types in order to help us hit the maximum strength perk (300) without too much overflow, since the scaling dramatically drops after that point. When no extra strength is needed, health is prioritized to help boost our defensive capabilities. You can mix and match the sets as you want, as long as your strength is as close to 300 as it can be with everything else in constitution.
- Perks: For jewelry, Health tends to be the best Amulet Perk to help pad your max HP. Refreshing Toast is used for our Earring Perk, to allow us to use our potions much more frequently, thus increasing our HP/MP sustain by a ton. Finally, we go with Keen Awareness on our ring for more crit chance. We choose our defensive ward perk based on the PvE instance we are doing (mob type we will be fighting), and Refreshing for some cooldown reduction! In terms of skill perks, we want whatever skill perks we can get to enhance the capabilities of our build. Secondary perks to consider would be freedom, vigor, invigorated, elemental aversion, and physical aversion. Weapon wise, you want the bane perk for the mob type you’re fighting. The other weapon perks are up to personal choice!
- Gems: For this setup, we went for a mixture of Malachite and Diamond gems in the armor. This will give us boosts physical damage reduction and elemental damage absorption, giving us a good spread of damage reduction for the game’s varied enemy types. We use an Emerald on both weapon bars to increase our damage to low health enemies!
All points into Strength.
NOTE: Click here to view the skill tree calculator.
Consumables & Heartgem
- Brutal Heartrune of Detonate
- Health Potion
- Regeneration Potion
- Strength / Constitution Food
- Flex – the choice is up to you!
Rotation & Tips
- One of the great things about Greataxe/Hatchet is the chase capability and lockdown this weapon combo has. With your greataxe, your goal is to stay up on your opponents, using Reap to pull them in and deal damage, use Gravity Well to vacuum your opponent(s) into one area and go for a burst. This weapons light attacks hit hard, so weave them in as you’re locking down your opponent. As enemies get below 50% health, use Execute for a massive hit of damage.
- The Hatchet offers a lot of self healing, CC immunity, and even a cheat death effect. Utilize Berserk to break yourself out of crowd control, heal yourself, increase your damage and make yourself uninterruptable (since it has so many effects, use it as the situation calls for it). Once you’re buffed with Berserk, use Rending Throw to apply Rend to your opponents, followed up by Feral Rush to get on top of your enemy.
- As you start taking damage, use your regeneration potion. This will help keep your health topped off.
- When you take a big burst of damage, use your health potion to help recover!
- If you are in a desperate need for health and your potions are on cooldown, get some distance from your opponent and eat food. As long as you dont take damage, your health will quickly regenerate. Once your health gets to a respectable amount or a potion comes off of cooldown, feel free to re-enter the fight!
If you have any questions about the build, join our discord server and ask @Dottz about the build!
10/21/2021 – Build created
1/1/2022- build perks added
9/19/2022- armor updated
5/8/2023 – heartgem added