Best Gaming Mouse: Top 5 Mice for 2022
The best gaming mouse doesn’t just come down to only the best hardware or software; it also needs to feel suitable for your grip, hand-size, and offer enough buttons for your favorite games. Getting a mouse that is correctly sized for your hand, has the right set of features and has a high-quality sensor will improve your gameplay and long-term gaming comfort. There are tons of companies in the gaming hardware industry, and mice can range from cheap and simple to premium peripherals packed with a wide variety of features. There are also some other features you need to consider, like various levels of RGB, swappable finger rests, adjustable weights and much more.
The list below has my top 5 gaming mice. The list below includes mice that are great for FPS games, MMORPGs and much more. My list personally includes wired mice only. This is for 2 primary reasons:
- Battery life: I never want to be in the heat of my game and have my mouse die, messing up my game. You can of course plug the mouse in and charge it while you use it, but personally, I dont like to worry about battery life for one of my primary PC peripherals.
- Latency: Wired mice go straight into your PC, while with wireless mice their needs to be a signal sent from the mouse to the PC. While the latency on mice has gone down significantly,
There’s something else you want to consider when purchasing a mice: how you hold your mouse. Knowing your grip style will help you find the right mouse to make sure it’s as comfortable for you to use as possible. The 3 most common mouse grips are palm, claw and fingertip.
- Palm Grip: Your palm rests on the back of the mouse, with your fingers lying on top.
- Claw Grip: Your palm rests on the back of the mouse, and your fingers are arched so that you can use your fingertips for grip.
- Fingertip Grip: Your wrist and palm are not touching your mouse. The mouse is gripped solely with your fingertips.
Top 5 Gaming Mice
The Logitech G Pro is my current mouse of choice and the mouse that ranks at the top of my list. For overall gaming, it is by far the best mouse I’ve used. It’s light, has integration with popular programs such as Discord, and is a very comfortable mouse to use. If you are, however, going to be playing an MMORPG that requires a lot of additional buttons, the next mouse on my list would be a better option. This mouse is used by several professionals in FPS and battle royale games as well, so you know you’re getting a top of the line mouse. I’ve also always found Logitech’s hardware to be very, very solid. The mouse feels high quality and well-built. However, their software program, G-Hub, varies in quality based on its current update. Some of their updates have broken certain program integrations with the mouse (such as breaking Discord mute/deafen functions), so I’d say if you’re mouse is working appropriately, consider disabling auto-updates and only update G-Hub when needed. The G Pro also comes in a wireless option if you are interested. The G Pro is also an ambidextrous mouse!
The following is the description from the G Pro’s Amazon page:
- Hero 25K sensor through a software update from G HUB, this upgrade is free to all players: Our most advanced, with 1:1 tracking, 400+ ips, and 100 – 25,600 max dpi sensitivity plus zero smoothing, filtering, or acceleration
- Mechanical Switches and Spring Button Tensioning System: Delivers the extreme performance sport pros demand with consistent feel at any hand speed and near instantaneous actuation of every click. Max. acceleration >40G
- Programmable RGB Lighting and LIGHTSYNC Technology: Customize lighting from nearly 16.8 million colors to match your team’s colors, sport your own or sync colors with other Logitech G gear
- Six Customizable Buttons and Onboard Memory: Assign custom commands to buttons and save them directly to the mouse for use on competition systems without the need to reconfigure your settings
- Ultra Comfortable and Durable Design: Mouse is optimized to reduce weight for improved comfort, stability and responsiveness; Left and right button durability is upgraded to 50 million clicks
The Scimitar is hands down my favorite MMORPG focused mouse, which is why it ranks #2 on the list. Corsair has top tier build quality on their peripherals. My Corsair Scimitar lasted for years, and is a great investment for your gaming setup. The mouse is going to be heavier than your standard FPS mouse because it has more buttons/hardware for the extra utility it brings, but it isn’t as big of a deal since MMORPGs require significantly less mouse movement than FPS games. The only issue I ever had with my Scimitar is the software. iCUE can take a learning curve to use, and isn’t as user-friendly as Razer Synapse. However, once you figure it out and get it setup, you pretty much never need to touch it again. The Scimitar is also designed for right-handed gamers.
Now I’ve gotten asked a lot: why not the Razer Naga? While I do think Razer’s driver software is better, it doesn’t make up for the extremely poor build quality of the recent generations of Razer Nagas. My previous Naga started double clicking on both my left and right mouse buttons only after 3 months of use. I wondered if the one I got was just a lemon, but after talking to some friends who purchased Nagas recently as well, they reported similar issues. So to me, I’d take the significantly superior build quality and slightly more difficult setup of the Scimitar over the much shorter life-span of the Naga.
The following is the description from the Corsair Scimitar’s Amazon page:
- Exclusive key slider macro button control system. Compatibility – A PC with a USB port , Windows 10, Windows 8 or Windows 7
- 12 optimized mechanical side buttons designed to pro player specifications for consistent tactile feedback and precise actuation. Textured side button keycaps provide enhanced grip and feel
- The patent pending design provides 8 millimeter of key travel with secure lock to ensure every button is within reach. Surface calibration tuning utility: Optimizes sensor for your playing surface
- Onboard storage with hardware macro playback: Three predefined profiles include actions common for MMO gaming as well as general purpose keyboard shortcuts
- Custom, gaming grade 16000 DPI optical sensor: ultra-accurate and high-speed tracking engine. Cable: 1.8 meter braided fiber
The DeathAdder is, in my opinion, Razer’s best mouse. It’s similar to the G Pro in a lot of ways but has some slightly different specs. It is ever so slightly heavier, has some some slightly larger dimensions, and 2 more buttons while being a bit cheaper than the G Pro. The DeathAdder gets to utilize the very user-friendly software of Razer Synapse (which in my opinion is superior to G Hub), but is of slightly lower build quality than the G Pro. Also, due to the shape of the DeathAdder, it’s used primarily for those with medium to large size hands (right-handed only as well), while those with smaller hands will favor the G Pro. So, choose whichever is right for you!
The following is the description from the Razer DeathAdder v2’s Amazon page:
- Focus 20K DPI Optical Sensor: Auto-calibrates across mouse mat and reduces cursor drift from lift-off and landing for industry-leading precision. Razer Optical Switches – 70M Click Durability
- 3x Faster Than Traditional Mechanical Switches: New Razer optical mouse switches uses light beam-based actuation, registering button presses at the speed of light
- Immersive, Customizable Chroma RGB Lighting: Supports 16.8 million colors w, included preset profiles; syncs with gameplay and Razer Chroma-enabled peripherals and Philips Hue products
- 8 Programmable Buttons: Allows for button remapping and assignment of complex macro functions through Razer Synapse 3
- Drag-Free Cord for Wireless-Like Performance: Razer Speedflex cables eliminate the need for mouse bungees, drastically reducing weight and drag for absolute control
The Logitech G203 is going to be my best choice for gamer’s on a budget. This mouse is, quite literally, a budget version of the G Pro. It looks nearly identical to the G Pro, but has slightly lower specs. So, if you like the G Pro but cant afford the price-tag, this is the mouse for you!
The following is the description from the Logitech G203’s Amazon page:
- 8,000 DPI gaming-grade sensor responds precisely to movements. Customize your sensitivity settings to suit the sensitivity you like with Logitech G HUB gaming software and cycle easily through up to 5 DPI settings.
- Play in color with our most vibrant Lightsync RGB featuring color wave effects customizable across -16.8 million colors. Install Logitech G HUB software to choose from preset colors and animations or make your own. Game-driven, audio visualization and screen mapping options are also available.
- Play comfortably and with total control. The classic and simple 6-button layout and classic gaming shape is a comfortable time-tested and loved design. Each button can be customized using Logitech G HUB software to simplify tasks.
- Primary buttons are mechanical and tensioned with durable metal springs for reliability, performance and excellent feel. The crisp clicks and precise feedback delivers a great precision feel to maximize your fun in game.
Rounding out the list at #5 is going to be my budget choice for my MMORPG mouse: the Redragon M901. This mouse has a lower build quality than the Scimitar, and the driver software is even less friendly to use than Corsair’s iCUE. However, it’s very hard to find a good budget MMORPG mouse that has 12 programmable side buttons and RBG lighting. Of all the budget mice I’ve tried, the Redragon mouse is the best in my opinion, and is packed with the most features (such as having adjustable weight). If you’re looking for something that operates similarly to the Naga or the Scimitar but at a much cheaper price, this is going to be the mouse for you!
The following is the description from the Redragon M901’s Amazon page:
- WIRED GAMING MOUSE; built for PC Gamers -Optical Gaming Mouse up to 12400 DPI via software, 12000 FPS, 1000 Hz polling rate, 50G acceleration. The High-Precision Sensor delivers Pinpoint Accuracy while the Micro Switch ensure longevity, greater durability
- LED RGB BACKLIT PROGRAMMABLE GAMING MOUSE; 18 programmable buttons, 5 Memory Profiles each with distinct LED color option for quick identification. Comes with 8-piece weight tuning set (2.4g x8) and Breathing Effects. (LED Backlight can be disabled)
- ERGONOMIC GAMER MOUSE DESIGN; Ergonomic shape fits naturally in your hand, reduces stress with superior productivity and efficiency. Give an extremely gaming experience during sessions.
- HIGH-END PC GAMING MOUSE FEATURES; 7 Mouse Buttons PLUS 12 MMO programmable side buttons. Total 19 buttons. Fire button, Pulsing Breathing light color modes. Durable smooth TEFLON feet pads for ultimate gaming control
- PC GAMING MOUSE COMPATIBILTY: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP, Limited Mac OS keyboard support. Comes with 6 foot high-speed braided fibre cable and a gold-plated corrosion free USB connector for a reliable connection