How to choose your armor
This Elder Scrolls Online guide covers the basics of the various armor types in the game, as well as the thought process behind choosing which armor would be best suited for your character.
As a general rule of thumb, you’ll want to choose your armor type based on your role:
- Light Armor – Healing (PvP and PvE), Magicka DPS (PvP and PvE)
- Medium Armor – Stamina DPS (PvP and PvE)
- Heavy Armor – Tanking (PvP and PvE), Magicka PvP, Stamina PvP
A lot of times players will ask, “Should I wear just one of these armor types or a combination?” I highly recommend wearing a combination to get benefit from Undaunted Mettle, a passive from the Undaunted Guild skill line that gives more max health, magicka and stamina based on the number of different gear weights worn. Do keep in mind though that you need to make sure you’re wearing 5 of your main armor type to get full benefit from the passives in their respective skill trees, which leaves you 2 pieces left to customize. This is how I choose what to do with those pieces:
- Does your build have high max stats or in need more max stats? Wear 5/1/1 (where 5 is your main armor weight)
- Need more HP as a stam/mag dps? 5/2/0 (where 2 is heavy)
- Using heavy in PvP as a mag/stam DPS? Go 5/1/1 if you feel your sustain is acceptable, otherwise use 5/2/0 (where 2 is light or medium depending on the resource)
- This one in particular comes down to preference
- Healer or Tank? I recommend trying 5/1/1, but you could also forego the medium piece and use your main armor type to buff up those passives if you don’t think the max stats are worth it.
- Going for pure damage or pure tankiness? 7/0/0. Your max stats will suffer a bit though so generally I do not recommend this. Should i go 5/1/1 or 5/2 if i dont have undaunted? While most people say no, i say yes so you actually level those armor skill lines and gain their passive benefits.