Burn – Magicka Dragon Knight PvP Build
Build Written By: Dottz Gaming – PC NA
Role: Damage Dealer
Patch: Dragon Bones
Table of Contents
- Tips & Misc
- Contact Info
- Update Log
Welcome to DottzGaming.com’s Magicka Dragon Knight DPS PvP Build, Burn, for the Elder Scrolls Online! This build is intended for PvP of all kinds: battlegrounds, Cyrodiil, dueling, and Imperial City. This build can be played in both CP and no-CP pvp, although the jewelry enchants may need to be adjusted slightly for no-CP pvp.
This build is a heavy armor setup that boasts plenty of damage. Although we lost some damage with the loss of Wrath back in Clockwork City, heavy armor is still good for being a front line tanky magicka unit. This build shines especially well in group play, small scale and large scale, but felt a solo hit with the changes to Burning Embers and Whip (which are now dodgeable). For this patch, heavy armor is still great for group play, newer MagDKs, or if you want to play a tankier setup that still dishes out great damage, but I think Light Armor is better overall for this patch in terms of solo PvP. This build is still great though and will serve your DK well out there on the battlefield!
Keep in mind that PvP builds are very personal. This is what worked for ME. If you don’t like something about it, change it to fit your playstyle.
|Magicka Dragon Knight PvP Build|
|Head||Valkyn Skoria||Medium||Sturdy||Prismatic||Vet City of Ash 2|
|Shoulders||Valkyn Skoria||Heavy||Impenetrable||Magicka||Undaunted Chest|
|Belt||Burning Spellweave||Light||Sturdy||Magicka||City of Ash|
|Necklace||Burning Spellweave||Jewelry||Arcane||Spell Damage||City of Ash|
|Ring||Burning Spellweave||Jewelry||Arcane||Spell Damage||City of Ash|
|Ring||Burning Spellweave||Jewelry||Arcane||Magicka Recovery||City of Ash|
|Weapon 1||Shacklebreaker||1h Weapon||Nirnhoned||Flame||Crafted|
|Shield 1||Burning Spellweave||Shield||Sturdy||Magicka||City of Ash|
|Weapon 2||Shacklebreaker||Inferno||Infused||Spell Damage||Crafted|
- 1h/Shield and Destruction Staff: I tried to make double 1h and Shield work for the longest time and the sustain just simply was not there. After using both Snb/Staff and double SnB, at least in my eyes, having that back bar staff is better. Switching to using a destruction staff on the back bar opened me up to utilizing heavy attacks and Elemental Drain for sustain, which is the main reason I chose a Destruction Staff over a Restoration Staff. Elemental Drain also gives Major Breach, allowing me to put less CP into Spell Erosion and put it other places.
- Shacklebreaker: This set is simply awesome. It gives an amazing stat spread that allows me to run Witchmother’s Potent Brew instead of Tri-Stat food, which just is a massive boost to our sustain.
- Valkyn Skoria: We run a very DoT heavy build (seems appropriate due to my username), and Valkyn Skoria supports that playstyle very well. Valkyn Skoria adds a lot of needed burst to the magicka dragon knight’s kit; there were countless duels I ended up losing simply because I did not have the burst to close out the fight. I also chose this over Blood Spawn because I feel we have enough sustain baked into the build that Blood Spawn would be overkill.
- Burning Spellweave: The second I started using this set in PvE it quickly became my favorite set and I knew eventually I would end up incorporating it into my PvP build. What I love about BSW is that the 5 piece bonus is a buff. That is important because if we have the BSW 5 piece bonus buff up and swap to our back bar, we don’t lose that extra spell power, so it’s essentially like we still have it up on our back bar. In addition, unlike Silks of the Sun, BSW boosts the spell damage of ALL of our abilities, not just the ones that deal flame damage. With Sun, you would not get any extra spell power on Coagulating Blood, Volatile Armor, Fossilize, Degeneration or Devouring Swarm and you would lose the 5 piece on the back bar. I just think that BSW gives you the best boost to your offensive and defensive capabilities when compared to a lot of the other common offensive sets like Sun, Julianos and Spinners. But if you do not have BSW or do not want to farm it, my first alternative choice would be Spinners due to the fact that I feel it gives you the most damage compared to the other sets mentioned.
All points into Magicka.
Main Bar – Sword & Shield: Flame Lash, Burning Embers, Fossilize, Choking Talons, Coagulating Blood, Ferocious Leap
Back Bar – Inferno Staff: Degeneration, Engulfing Flames, Elemental Drain, Volatile Armor, Elusive Mist, Devouring Swarm
NOTE: For duels, use Shooting Star instead of Devouring Swarm. Against certain opponents while dueling, use Dragon Fire Scale instead of Mist Form.
- Flame Lash: Bread and Butter spammable. Deals great damage, and when power lash procs, you get a heal, a stun, and extra damage. Be prepared for people to whisper you telling you “all you do is spam whip” when you kill them. All these flavors and they chose to be salty.
- Burning Embers: Great single target DoT that can be placed on multiple people that heals you based on damage done. By boosting the damage of this ability, we give ourselves offensive based healing capabilities which is fantastic.
- Fossilize: Amazing stun, I recommend this over Stone Giant any day. You can’t mess up with this ability, and the best part is that it has an immobilize after the stun is over.
- Choking Talons: Previously, I was running Burning Talons being that we are using Valkyn Skoria, but after some testing I believe that Choking Talons is the better option. While we do lose out on some damage, the amount of survivability we gain in return is quite significant; significant enough that I think it’s worth choosing over the damage option. This build does plenty of damage, so having a source of minor maim to make dueling and surviving outnumbered easier is invaluable. If you want the higher damage though, Burning Talons is still a fantastic choice.
- Coagulating Blood: Our major heal for this build. The reason I have it on the front bar is because our front bar is where our spell damage is the highest, therefore this will allow us to get the biggest heal out of this ability.
- Ferocious Leap: Tons of damage, CC, a damage shield, and it looks really cool. This ultimate is a staple in any Magicka DK PvP build.
- Degeneration: I’m using this over Structured Entropy because we have a destruction staff on our back bar, so since our light/heavy attacks will deal some decent damage, we have a chance to proc a decent heal. Also, I didn’t like how structured entropy made my execute range bigger.
- Engulfing Flames: Since we are running a DoT based build with Skoria and BSW, this is a mandatory ability. Adds a DoT and boosts our flame damage by 10%.
- Elemental Drain: This ability – I can’t say enough good things about it. Elemental Drain is the single reason I chose a destruction staff over a restoration staff. Not only do we get major breach, which allows us to allocate less points into spell erosion and put it other places, but it also gives us a massive boost to our sustain for 0 cost.
- Volatile Armor: Gives us a lot of extra resistances and adds another DoT to the build. This ability is really good for making us tanky.
- Elusive Mist: Our “Oh no run away!” button. Being that Magicka DK’s have low mobility, this ability in my opinion is mandatory in Cyrodiil & battlegrounds to get out of tricky situations. This can also be used in duels to break roots and help lessen incoming burst damage.
- Devouring Swarm: Massive amounts of AoE damage while healing us at the same time. I like my back bar ultimate to be a big AoE ability in case I am in a situation where I am facing a lot of opponents and need to wear them down. This is also a DoT and plays into the build’s strengths very well.
- Dragon Fire Scale (Duels): This ability is used over Mist Form in duels if fighting a class that uses a lot of projectiles, otherwise keep Mist Form for the mobility. Dragon Fire Scale is a much better defensive option in a 1v1 against a class that uses a lot of projectiles, such as Magicka Nightblade or Magicka Sorcerer, over Mist Form. It helps us with these match-ups, reflecting back projectiles and causing them to deal even more damage to the person we are fighting!
- Shooting Star (Duels): This ultimate is used over Devouring Swarm in duels for 2 main reasons: it costs a lot and gives us a stat boost on the back bar. In duels, we will most of the time be using leap, so Shooting Star mainly acts as a stat boost on the back bar. But, if we are ever in a situation where we have a lot of extra ultimate and really need resources, popping Shooting Star will give us a big battle roar to restore all of our resources.
Vampire vs. Mortal
For this build I absolutely recommend playing as a vampire. Due to the fact that you will be playing a Dark Elf which gives flame resistance, as well as the tankiness from the ability and gear selection, the extra damage from fire that you take is absolutely worth the regeneration (extra magicka and stamina recovery) and undeath (you take less damage as your health gets lower) passives you gain from being a vampire.
CHAMPION POINT 720 SETUP
THE MAGE (BLUE)
- Elfborn – 23
- Spell Erosion – 42
- Elemental Expert – 75
- Master-at-Arms – 66
- Thaumaturge – 34
THE THIEF (GREEN)
- Warlord – 56
- Arcanist – 75
- Tumbling – 37
- Shadow Ward – 72
THE WARRIOR (RED)
- Ironclad – 56
- Resistant – 54
- Thick Skinned – 56
- Hardy – 37
- Elemental Defender – 37
Other Important Info
Witchmother’s Potent Brew: Maximum Health, Magicka and Magicka Recovery
Atronach – Increased Magicka Recovery
Dark Elf (Recommended)
Tri-Stat (Bugloss, Columbine and Mountain Flower)
Class (all), Heavy Armor (all), Light Armor (all except the ones that require you to wear 5 pieces), Medium Armor (all except the ones that require you to wear 5 pieces), 1h & Shield (all), Destruction Staff (all), Mages Guild (all except persuasive passive), Vampire (all except Blood Ritual and Savage Feeding), Undaunted (all), Racial (all), Alchemy (Medicinal Use), Assault (all), Support (all except the first)
Tips & Misc.
- Maintain your buffs to maximize the amount of tankiness and damage potential that the build offers.
- Maintaining your DoTs on your enemy is crucial for maintaining pressure and continuously popping out Skoria procs.
- Your offense is also your defense. If you need a BIG heal in a pinch and don’t have an ultimate or a potion up, use Coagulating blood and then re-apply Burning Embers. The re-application of burning embers will cause you to be healed since the original DoT “ended”, and you’ll be maintaining the damage pressure on your opponent.
- Elemental Drain maintenance is very important for damage and sustain. Always make sure this ability is up on your opponent.
- When your opponent is rooted, stand behind them so they can’t hit you.
- You have a lot of control with Fossilize and Talons, and these give you a lot of chances for power lashes. Combo’ing these abilities together can also allow for some MASSIVE burst.
- Stunning someone before you use an ultimate will cause them to take the full brunt of your assault, so use Fossilize in those key moments.
If you have any questions about the build, join our discord server and ask @Dottz about the build!
12/7/2017 – Build created.
1/4/2018 – CP adjusted after some testing.
1/8/2018 – Changed burning talons to choking talons.
2/12/2018 – CP updated. Tried 75 into Thaum with the new off-balance changes, was not worth it.
DISCLAIMER: The image used for this article’s thumbnail is taken from Magic the Gathering, created and owned by Wizards of the Coast, the copyright of which is held by Wizard’s of the Coast. All trademarks and registered trademarks present in the image associated are proprietary to Wizard’s of the Coast and Daarken, the creating artist. The inclusion of the image on this website does not imply affiliation with Dottz Gaming. The use of the image is believed to fall under the “fair use” clause of the United States of America copyright law. If there are any issues with the image’s inclusion on this website please contact Dottz Gaming and it will be removed at your request.